Trial set to start in torture-murder case


SAN JOSE, Calif. -- After two months of jury selection, prosecutors are about to begin their case against a security guard accused of luring two teenage girls into a vacant mansion and killing one of them after hours of rape and torture.

David Allen Raley, 25, allegedly offered to give Laurie McKenna and Jeanine Grinsell a tour of the posh Carolands Chateau in Hillsborough, Calif., on Feb. 2, 1985.


The girls, who had been stabbed more than 30 times each, were found the next morning in a muddy ravine. Grinsell died a short time later.

Assistant Santa Clara County District Attorney Dave Davies said he expects the jury to be announced Wednesday or Thursday, with opening arguments in the trial scheduled for the following Monday.

Raley is charged with murder and attempted murder, with special circumstance allegations -- including rape, kidnap and torture -- that could bring him the death penalty.

McKenna is expected to be the key witness in the trial. Davies said he plans to call her on the final day of his presentation, which he said should last about five days.

It took court officials two months to select 12 men and women from a list of about 150 potential jurors.


Public Defender Bryan Schechmeister, who is defending Raley, said the crimes were so gruesome that they had to find jurors who would not react emotionally to the details.

Schechmeister said no insanity plea will be entered, even though Raley told police during an alleged confession that during the stabbings 'something in his mind went crazy ... something was talking to him.'

Raley allegedly locked the girls in a vault in the 92-room mansion and told them he would not let them out until they took their clothes off. He then allegedly took them to separate rooms, where he handcuffed and raped them before beating them with a claw hammer.

He then allegedly tied them up and put them in the trunk of his car, then drove to his San Jose home, where he made popcorn and played monopoly with his sister before leaving again to dump them in a nearby ravine.

Raley was arrested two days later and has since been held in the county jail.

Raley was a security guard for the Young Patrol Service, which had been contracted by the mansion's owner, the Glacier General Assurance Co., to guard the property.

During the past two years, he has befriended another accused murderer -- 35-year-old William Michael Dennis, who is charged with hacking his ex-wife and her 8-month-old fetus to death with a meat clever on Halloween night 1984.


Because of jail overcrowding, the two men have been housed in the same cell, and both are being defended by Schechmeister.

Latest Headlines