TEMPE, Ariz. -- Sodium cyanide, a deadly poison, was discovered in the bottled water at an insurance office where a woman collapsed after taking a drink and later died, police disclosed Thursday.
Police were holding the husband of a woman who worked with the victim in the insurance office and said he would be charged, possibly with murder, Friday.
Detectives released only sketchy details in the case.
Roger Clay, police spokesman, said other employees of the insurance company had used the water cooler before the victim without apparent ill effect.
Julie William, 46, Mesa, died Wednesday night at St. Luke's Hospital where she was taken after she lost consciousness in her office at the TransAmerica Title Insurance Co. two days earlier. She was the only person who drank from the water cooler Monday, police said.
'On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the previous week, the same bottle and same water dispenser were used ... with no ill effects to anyone,' Clay said.
Police arrested Lewis Allen Harry Jr., 32, Phoenix, late Tuesday for investigation of four counts of attempted murder.
Sylvia Lopez, a spokeswoman in the Maricopa County attorney's office, said formal charges will be filed against Harry on Friday, but she declined to say if he would be charged with murder. A preliminary hearing is scheduled April 7.
Clay would not say why Harry was booked on four counts. He said results of an autopsy performed Thursday by the Maricopa Medical Examiner's Office will be released Friday. More information about the charges against Harry may also be made public at that time.
Harry was being held in Maricopa County Jail in lieu of $1.37 million bond.
Clay said the main link between Harry and the apparent poisoning incident was his wife's employment at the insurance company. He said other information was gained from co-workers and statements Harry made to police.
Harry worked at South Mountain Community College in Phoenix as an equipment manager in the physical education department.