SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador -- An American military adviser helping the beleagured Salvadoran government stave off leftist guerrillas has been injured and evacuated to Panama, a U.S. source confirmed Monday.
The adviser -- the first injured in El Salvador -- suffered injuries that were 'light enough so that he plans to come back soon,' said the source, who asked not to be identified.
The source declined to comment on a CBS News report that the adviser, who was not identified, was injured when another American accidentally dropped a handgun that discharged.
The source also refused to specify whether the adviser suffered a bullet wound or was burned from the discharge. The adviser was evacuated to the Panama Canal Zone for treatment, the U.S. source said.
The incident took place last Friday, he said, adding the American adviser was evacuated the same day.
There now are about 20 U.S. military advisers in El Salvador and the Reagan administration plans to send a total of 54 to assist the American-backed juanta's fight against Marxist-led guerrillas.
The bodies of seven people shot in the head execution style, most of them youths, were found Monday, among 35 people to die in the latest Salvadoran political violence, authorities said.
In another development, the leaders of Amnesty International-U.S.A. asked President Reagan to halt arms, military training and assistance to El Salvador.
A powerful bomb ripped through the home of Jose Tomas Carbonel, father-in-law of junta member Jose Antonio Morales Ehrlich, partially destroying the home and wounding two employees, officials said.
Carbonel, 75, was in his home in the western part of the capital but was not injured by the blast, they said. None of the extremist groups active in the Central American nation of 4.8 million claimed responsibility for the bombing.
The Catholic Church's Legal Aid Society estimated that 17,500 people have been killed since Jan. 1, 1980 in a virtual civil war between Marxist-led guerrillas, rightist death squads and government troops.
U.S. aid is 'contributing to gross human rights violations against innocent Salvadoran citizens by government forces,' Amnesty International said in a statement released in Washington.
It said Salvadoran security forces and paramilitary groups 'are known to be conducting a systematic campaign of terrorism, resulting in torture and death, against segments of their own population.'
The human rights group said its investigation of more than 8,000 deaths in El Salvador from violence showed 'government forces have been implicated in the deaths of more than 6,000.'
Government troops attacked the guerrilla strongholds around Suchitoto, 31 miles north of San Salvador, for the third straight day.
A local army commander said the military suspects peasant refugees sympathetic to the guerrillas of blowing up an electricity power line tower and water lines to the hotly contested village in the embattled province of Chalatenango.
More than 1,000 peasant refugees from fighting in the region during the past month are housed in nearby La Bermuda, the Salvadoran Green Cross said. The town remained without water early Monday, though spokesmen for the government-run electricity company in San Salvador said electric power had been restored.
Scattered shooting was reported overnight by residents of San Vicente, a provincial capital 30 miles east of San Salvador, but judicial authorities reported no casualties.
Army spokesmen in San Vicente said the military had regained control of the area near San Lorenzo, a much disputed town where government commanders claim troops killed some 300 guerrillas in recent fighting.