CAIRO, Egypt -- Former Iranian Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi will proclaim himself the new shah of Iran when he turns 20 at the end of this month but no public ceremony will be held to celebrate the occasion, his mother announced Friday.
The announcement by Empress Farah Diba said the proclamation will simply take the form of a message to the Iranian people which Reza will address from his exile home in Cairo.
The announcement was the first official confirmation of reports published in the local press that Reza will proclaim himself shah-in-exile on his 20th birthday Oct. 31.
The English-language announcement, distributed to news organizations in Cairo, said:
'Responding to numerous questions and to put an end to various interpretations, the secretariat of Her Imperial Majesty Farah Pahlavi, Shahbanou of Iran, issues the following communique:
'His Imperial Highness Reza Pahlavi, Crown Prince of Iran, will reach his constitutional majority on the 9th of Aban, 1359 (October 31, 1980). On this date, and in conformity with the Iranian Constitution, the regency of Her Imperial Majesty Farah Pahlavi, Shahbanou of Iran, will come to an end and His Imperial Highness, who on this occasion will send a message to the people of Iran, will succeed his father, His Imperial Majesty Mohammed Reza Shah Pahlavi, deceased in Cairo on Mordad 5, 1359 (July 27, 1980).
'Under these circumstances, no public ceremony and no press conference will be held,' the announcement said.
Reza came to Egypt in March along with his father and the Pahlavi family.
He has apparently made Egypt his permanent exile home and recently enrolled at Cairo's American University as a political science student. Previously he studied at Williams College in Massachusetts.