BOSTON -- A former bowling alley employee with a long criminal record was arrested without a struggle Wednesday and charged with murder in the bloody execution-style slaughter of four men at the alley late last month.
Three police teams, armed with search warrants based on evidence collected in four days surveillance, swooped down on Brian A. Dyer, 41, about 3 a.m. as he left the Somerville YMCA on his way to work for a cab company.
He pleaded innocent in Brighton District Court on four counts of murder in the Sept. 22 beating and shooting deaths of four men during a robbery at Sammy White's Brighton Bowl.
Dyer was fired as a maintenance worker at the popular bowling alley in 1973 and had been turned down when he recently reapplied for work there, officials said. He was believed to have known at least one of the murdered men.
The four victims were found shortly before 8 a.m. lying face down with their hands shackled behind their backs in a blood-spattered room behind the alley's pin-setting equipment. Three were dead when police arrived. The fourth died at a hospital a short time later.
It was believed that the men, all employees of the alley, were beaten with bowling pins before they were shot in a successful effort to learn the combination of the alley's safe. Between $6,000 and $9,000 was stolen from the safe.
Judge Charles J. Artisano ordered Dyer held without bail pending an Oct. 10 court appearance. Assistant District Attorney Jeremiah Sullivan asked for the no-bail ruling, saying Dyer had an 'extensive' criminal record and was currently on parole.
As Dyer, wearing a rumpled, red short-sleeve shirt, was hustled into the courthouse by a phalanx of uniformed policeman, Stephen Cobe, a brother of two of the victims, shouted obscenities at him and was restrained by police.
Police reportedly found blood-stained clothing in Dyer's room and coins, a bullet and a gun in Dyer's car. Ballistics tests were being performed on the gun and bullet.
Spokesmen said Dyer had been a prime suspect since he was interviewed by police shortly after the murders. Dyer apparently realized that and hired an attorney immediately after being questioned.
Dyer is 'not talking to us,' said police Assistant Superintendent Anthony J. DiNatale. 'He's availed himself of his constitutional rights as to the so-called Miranda decision.'
One of the victims was day manager Donald Doroni, 40, of East Weymouth, who knew Dyer. The others were George Haglestein, 40, of Boston and two brothers, David Cobe, 22, and Brian Cobe, 23, both of Boston.