Khrushchev arrives for 13-day U.S. visit


WASHINGTON, Sept. 15, 1959 (UPI) - Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev arrived today for a fateful 13-day American visit and talks with President Eisenhower that seemed certain to affect the course of the cold war - for better or worse.

President Eisenhower told him in a brief welcome address that the American people "have no ill will toward any other people, that they covet no territory, no additional power."


The Communist leader, his family and official party landed behind schedule at nearby Andrews Air Force Base after their mammoth Russian TU-114 turbo-prop plane battled delaying 100-mph headwinds over the Atlantic on their 5,000-mile non-stop journey from Moscow.

President Eisenhower was at the foot of the ramp when Khrushchev descended for the beginning of a visit that will take him coast to coast.

Then, for the first time in his career, Khrushchev was accorded the full honors of a visiting head of state - a 21-gun salute, review of a proud honor guard of four armed services, reception by top-ranking officials of the American Government and their wives, and the playing of the national anthems of the two nations.


This was the first time Khrushchev had ever set foot on American soil.

The strictest security measures in peacetime history were invoked to protect Khrushchev.

Eisenhower walked 400 feet out onto the airport apron to greet his guest. He was accompanied by Chief of Protocol Wiley T. Buchanan Jr.

The honor guard, with fixed bayonets and in summer dress uniform, snapped to attention as the plane door opened and Khrushchev - first Russian leader, czarist or Communist, ever to visit America - descended with his wife.

Eisenhower shook hands with the Soviet premier and cordially welcomed the rather shy and plumpish Mrs. Khrushchev.

Then the American and Soviet leaders walked together through a cordon of troops to a receving line. Eisenhower presented Khrushchev to Secretary of State Christian Herter and his wife. Mrs. Herter handed a bouquet to Mrs. Khrushchev.

The Khrushchevs were escorted by Buchanan along the line of dignitaries. They were first welcomed by U.N. Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge, who will be their guide on trips to New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, the Des Moines, Iowa, area, and Pittsburgh.

Khrushchev walked along a 150-foot red carpet.

He had something with him, too. It was a replica of the pennant the Russians say they planted on the moon with their rocket. Khrushchev brought it along as a souvenir for Eisenhower.


Eisenhower left the premier briefly to greet Khrushchev's two daughters, Yulia, 42, and Rada, 29, his son, Sergei, 24, and his son-in-law Alexei Adzhubei.

Then the President and premier mounted the reviewing stand and faced the honor guard as national anthems were played and a 21-gun salute fired.

The first Eisenhower-Khrushchev "business" session was scheduled late this afternoon at the White House. The two leaders were expected then to initiate basic "exploratory" talks on the vital international issues, including the problem of Berlin and Germany which Khrushchev has said is paramount.

Because of the protocol applying to such an occasion, Vice President Richard M. Nixon was not at the airport. Nixon had been up with the rest of the Senate all night and didn't get to bed until after 7 a.m.

After the airport reception, Eisenhower and Khrushchev rode 15 miles to Blair House, where the Soviet premier will stay.

The first big formal affair of the visit comes at the White House tonight, when Khrushchev has to don white tie and tails for the first time in his life in keeping with dress at the state dinner.

During his flight, Khrushchev radioed greetings to Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Canada. Another Russian jet - a Tu-104 - sped ahead of him carrying Soviet dignitaries, headed by Foreign Trade Minister V.M. Vinogradov. It landed at Andrews at 10:49 a.m.


In Moscow, the general feeling was that Khrushchev's talks in Washington would mark the beginning of the end of the cold war and that from now on the Russian people could concentrate on peace and production.

Radio Moscow said Khrushchev was carrying a suitcase full of ideas which boil down to this: "Let us have peace and be friends."

Aboard his plane when it left Moscow at 12:01 a.m. were three U.S. Air Force men to help guide the jet over the U.S. They are Capt. Harold Renegar of Keller, Tex.; Capt. George Bohichik of Slickville, Pa.; and Sgt. Gaylor Robinson of Marietta, Ga.

Khrushchev's departure was broadcast by Radio Moscow in both English and Russian - a fairly rare occurrence. Onlookers were at the airport nearly two hours before Khrushchev arrived.

The premier found the diplomatic corps waiting when he arrived. He walked down the line of diplomats and shook hands with each one. A little girl handed him a big bouquet of flowers.

When he came to a group of organized workers, he waved both hands over his head and the group members applauded loudly. He chatted with the members of the presidium, then with a wave of the flowers, boarded the plane.


Khrushchev wore a light gray coat, a light gray felt hat, brown tie, brown shoes and a cream-colored shirt. Just before he boarded the plane a worker ran from the crowd and kissed him on both cheeks. The premier appeared quite moved.

Four of the giant TU-114 turboprop planes were lined up on the airfield in an impressive display. It was as if in answer to speculation by western correspondents the Russians had no more than one, since no more than one had been seen here.

Latest Headlines