U.S. fighting men sent to Nixon's protection in Venezuela

By United Press International

CARACAS, Venezuela -- More than 1,000 U.S. paratroops and Marines converged on the Caribbean today ready if needed to rescue Vice President Richard M. Nixon from any assassination attempts in mob-ridden Venezuela.

Nixon and his wife Pat were scheduled to leave the sanctuary of the U.S. embassy after midnight tonight to fly home.


Mobs swarmed through the streets during the night, smashing windows and shrieking anti-American slogans. Police armed with jungle knives as well as clubs and pistols strove to restore order.

The Nixons, who narrowly escaped death or injury at the hands of the mobs Tuesday, spent the night at the U.S. embassy in Caracas under the protection of a heavy cordon of police.

Troops Ordered to Area

President Eisenhower ordered troops into the Caribbean area and instructed Secretary of State John Foster Dulles to tell the Venezuelans to take "every possible measure" to safeguard the Vice President's life.

Venezuelan authorities blamed the mob outbreak on "tramps and miscreants linked with the regime of (ousted ex-President Marcos) Perez Jimenez."

Rear Adm. Wolfgang Larrazabal, chief of the military junta which replaced Perez in January, said "several" such persons have been arrested.

A mob outside Venezuela's "White House" delayed Larrazabal's departure after a visit to Nixon by about 15 minutes Tuesday and later attacked the car in which he was riding.


Two companies of paratroops from Ft. Campbell, Ky., sped south in Hercules turboprop transports to Puerto Rico's Ramey Field, two hours by air from Caracas.

Other planes carried two companies of Marines from Camp LeJeune, N.C., to the big U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo, Cuba, three hours' flying time from the Venezuelan capital.

A third Marine company will fly by helicopter today to join the Caribbean-bound aircraft carrier Tarawa at sea.

Greeted by Mob

The trouble here started Tuesday on the Nixons's arrival from Bogota at the conclusion of an eight-nation Latin American tour. Screaming anti-American demonstrators at the airport spat on the Vice President and his wife.

A few minutes later, the mob attacked Nixon's car with stones and clubs. They smashed its side windows and showered the Vice President with shattered glass. He escaped injury, thanks to speedy action by his Secret Service guard.

Venezuelan police with tear gas succeeded eventually in dispersing the job, which Larrazabal said was made up largely of students aged 12 to 15.

The Vice President canceled his scheduled public appearance in Caracas, but invited the Venezuelan leaders whom he had expected to meet to visit him at the embassy residence.

Latest Headlines


Follow Us