Norway's king in Britain; his nation quits war

United Press

LONDON -- The ministry of information of British and French troops from northern Norway, said today King Haakon and members of the Norwegian government were now in Great Britain.

Kin Haakon arrived in Britain on a warship and was welcomed by high admiralty officials. He traveled southward presumably to London on a special train.


Part of the Norwegian forces have been withdrawn from Norway, the ministry of information said, so they could be reformed "for action on other fronts."

A Norwegian source said Norway's 4,000,000 tons of shipping would be placed "at the disposal of the Allies."

(An officials announcement in Paris said Norway became "neutralized territory" last midnight and that the Germans agreed not to interfere with evacuation of the Allies.)

Foreknowledge of King

Developments in Norway, just two months after the German invasion of Scandinavia, were announced in an official statement:

"With the foreknowledge and understanding of his majesty the king of Norway and the Norwegian government, British and French troops have been withdrawn from northern Norway.

"The king of Norway and the Norwegian government are now in Great Britain and a proportion of the Norwegian armed forces have been withdrawn from Norway in order to be reformed for action on other fronts.

"The capture of Narvik (the iron ore port) enabled action to be taken to prevent the Germans from using it for export of iron ore for a considerable time. Troops and material from northern Norway can now be used to greater advantage elsewhere in the main struggle to defeat the German attempts at domination, upon the outcome of which Norwegian independence finally depends."

King Haakon appeared to be in good health and spirits when he arrived, it was said.

A Norwegian source said Norway's position was similar to that of The Netherlands, whose queen, Wilhelmina, fled to London to continue government of the Dutch empire.

"Our king is still king," the Norwegian said. "The last thing the Norwegian parliament did was to give a unanimous vote of confidence.

"The government has solid backing."

Port Reported Disabled.

It was understood the port of Narvik had been rendered useless for at least one year.

The number of Allied troops in the Narvik area was never announced but it was known they included some of the finest British and French forces.

The Allies also had sent valuable anti-aircraft and other artillery to Narvik, and these would have been a severe drain on the British and French if they had attempted to continue to hold the port.

Latest Headlines