Department of Justice orders report on Tulsa riots

TULSA, Okla., June 3. Satisfied that Tulsa city and county officials can now "take care of themselves," Adjutant General Barrett announced that national guard troops will be recalled at 3 p. m. today, "unless some untoward incident occurs," before that hour.

The announcement followed a telephone conversation by Barrett with Governor Robertson at Oklahoma City.



Oklahoma City, Okla., June 3. -- The department of justice at Washington has ordered the local bureau of investigation to probe the race riots at Tulsa, it was announced here today. The findings will be forwarded to Washington.


Tulsa, Okla., June 3. -- The white dead in the race riot of Tuesday night and Wednesday today were announced as follows: Ernest Austin, Walter Baggs, Cleo Shumate, C. D. Lotspieche, Homer Clyne and S. J. Withrow, all of Tulsa; Arthur Jones of Wyona, Okla.; F. M. Raker of Haviland, Kans., and one body still unidentified.

Barney Cleaver, negro deputy sheriff, is the only one of his race to enjoy complete freedom of movement since Tuesday night's outbreak.

He has been recognized by whites and blacks alike as a real guardian of the city's peace.


It was Cleaver who addressed the mob from the courthouse steps and induced the negroes to withdraw.

The sheriff failed in his attempt to break up the whites who had gathered. Cleaver has singled out a fellow black. Will Robinson, upon whom he fastens the blame of inciting the negroes.

Cleaver also is holding a list of a half dozen negro names which he says will be handed to the grand jury. Information today was that not more than 75 negroes, in the wild mob, numbering a great many more, were actually armed.

Most of the casualties were the "innocent bystanders."

- - -

Tulsa, Okla., June 3. -- Pillagers preying on burned and blood stained Tulsa gave authorities a new problem to cope with today.

Systematic thievery in the districts razed during two days of race rioting was reported.

Even pianos have been carried away from the negro district which was wrecked by race hatred.

Martial law, which was slackened after a day of quiet, was more strict today.

A cordon of heavily armed, guardsmen was thrown around the negro district to save what little remains of the property of negroes.

General Barrett, in charge of the troops, early today began centralizing the property of negroes, found in their ruined shacks, into one large heap for identification and protection.


Revised estimates now place the total death list, whites and negroes, at thirty killed and about 300 injured.

Earlier reports placed the list of dead up to 175. This was due to multiplication of records among sheriff's deputies, police, the national guard and other peace agencies.

Although negroes were back at the posts of menial labor today they were not at ease.

It will take some time for them to overcome their fears after having been shot at and herded about like cattle in a pasture for over 30 hours.

It was considered miraculous that no sickness has developed in the camp of 3,000 negroes in the Tulsa fairground.

The citizens' committee has started the dispatch of supplies to needy negroes.

The home of a lawyer one of the few left standing in "Little Africa" was made the distributing center.

Latest Headlines


Follow Us