facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
Headlines

UPI NewsTrack TopNews

News from United Press International, around the world around the clock ...

Duke, lacrosse players settle out of court

DURHAM, N.C., Feb. 28 (UPI) -- Duke University and 38 former members of its lacrosse team notified a federal judge they settled a players' lawsuit out of court, both sides announced.

Lacrosse accuser releases book

RALEIGH, N.C., Oct. 24 (UPI) -- The woman who accused members of the Duke University lacrosse team of raping her says she thought she was going to die at the players' 2006 party.

Durham to respond to lacrosse players

DURHAM, N.C., Nov. 29 (UPI) -- A judge has given the city of Durham, N.C., more time to respond to a lawsuit filed by three Duke lacrosse players who were falsely accused of sexual assault.

Former Duke players file civil rights suit

DURHAM, N.C., Oct. 5 (UPI) -- Three former Duke lacrosse players wrongly accused of rape filed a civil rights lawsuit against the ex-district attorney and others who pursued the claims.

3 lacrosse players reportedly seek $30M

DURHAM, N.C., Sept. 21 (UPI) -- The three Duke lacrosse players wrongly accused of rape in North Carolina have reportedly asked for $30 million to settle a lawsuit.

Finnerty transfers to Loyola (Md.)

BALTIMORE, July 11 (UPI) -- Former Duke University lacrosse player Collin Finnerty has transferred to Loyola of Maryland.

Duke lacrosse players given extra year

INDIANAPOLIS, May 30 (UPI) -- The NCAA Wednesday granted 33 players from the 2006 Duke men's lacrosse team an extra year of eligibility.

Charges dropped in Duke lacrosse case

RALEIGH, N.C., April 11 (UPI) -- North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper is dropping sexual assault and kidnapping charges against three former Duke University lacrosse players. David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann were accused of sexually assaulting an exotic dancer at an

Duke lacrosse case lawyer Osborn dead

CHAPEL HILL, N.C., March 26 (UPI) -- J. Kirk Osborn, a Chapel Hill, N.C., lawyer who defended one of the Duke University lacrosse players accused of rape, has died after a heart attack at 64. Osborn's wife, Tania, said the lawyer suffered a heart attack Friday and died early Sunday morning,

Prosecutors check out Duke lacrosse house

DURHAM, N.C., March 15 (UPI) -- North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper had no comment Thursday after touring the vacant Duke lacrosse team house that was the alleged site of a rape.

Accuser in Duke rape case changes story

DURHAM, N.C., Jan. 11 (UPI) -- The North Carolina woman who accused three Duke University lacrosse players of sexually assaulting her has given new details that contradict her prior story.

Duke to reinstate two accused players

DURHAM, N.C., Jan. 3 (UPI) -- Two former Duke University lacrosse players accused of sexual assault last year are being allowed to return to the North Carolina school in good standing. The Raleigh News & Observer reported that the university has informed Reade Seligmann and Collin Fin

Rape charge out in Duke case; others stand

DURHAM, N.C., Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Rape charges were dropped Friday against three Duke University lacrosse players, although they still face other charges in North Carolina.

Stereotyping alleged in Duke rape case

DURHAM, N.C., Oct. 31 (UPI) -- A black player on Duke University's lacrosse team claims stereotyping is part of the prosecution in Durham, N.C., of three white teammates facing rape charges.
Prev
Page 1 of 2
Wiki

Coordinates: 36°00′30″N 78°54′43″W / 36.00831°N 78.91203°W / 36.00831; -78.91203

The 2006 Duke University lacrosse case was a scandal that started in March 2006 when Crystal Gail Mangum, a Black stripper, escort and student at North Carolina Central University, falsely accused three white American Duke University students - members of the Duke Blue Devils men's lacrosse team of raping her at a party held at the house of two of the team's captains in Durham, North Carolina, USA on March 13, 2006. Many involved in the case, including prosecutor Mike Nifong, called the alleged assault a hate crime or suggested it might be one.

On April 11, 2007, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper dropped all charges and declared the three players innocent. Cooper stated that the charged players – Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty, and David Evans – were victims of a "tragic rush to accuse." The initial prosecutor for the case, Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong, who had been denounced as a "rogue prosecutor" by Cooper, withdrew from the case in January 2007 after the North Carolina State Bar filed ethics charges against him. That June, Nifong was disbarred for "dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation," making Nifong the first prosecutor in North Carolina history to lose his law license based on actions in a case. Nifong was found guilty of criminal contempt and served one day in jail.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Reade Seligmann."
Most Popular
1
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
2
Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier
3
Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Specs Comparison
4
Kentucky firefighter injured in ice bucket challenge dies Kentucky firefighter injured in ice bucket challenge dies
5
Sister shoots and kills brother to protect father Sister shoots and kills brother to protect father
x
Feedback