account
search
search
Jump to
Latest Headlines Quotes Wiki
share with facebook
share with twitter
share with google
1 of 14
Congressional Gold Metals awarded to Navajo Code Talkers
WAP2001072610 - 26 JULY 2001 - WASHINGTON, DC, USA: John Brown Jr., who served in WWII as a Navajo Code Talker, speaks at a ceremony awarding the Code Talkers with Congressional Gold Metals, in Washington, DC on July 26, 2001. mk/Michael Kleinfeld UPI
| License Photo
Latest Headlines
First Prev Page 1 of 5 Last Next
Wiki

John Brown and Company of Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, was a pre-eminent shipbuilder, responsible for building many notable ships.

The shipyard was founded by James and George Thomson, brothers who had worked for the famous engineer Robert Napier. The Thomson brothers named the yard J&G Thomson after their Glasgow foundry, established in Anderston in 1847. In 1851 they opened a shipyard at Cessnock, launching their first ship, named the Jackal, in 1852. They quickly established a reputation in building prestigious passenger ships, building the Jura for Cunard in 1854 and the record breaking Russia in 1867.

The company moved to the Barns o' Clyde (later re-named Clydebank) near the village of Dalmuir in 1871. The location at the confluence of the River Clyde, with the tributary River Cart at Newshot Isle, allowed very large ships to be launched. Despite severe financial difficulties the company developed a reputation based on engineering quality and innovation.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "John Brown."
x
Feedback