facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
Headlines

Family settles in mistaken police shooting

LONDON, Nov. 23 (UPI) -- The family of a man killed by British police who mistook him for a suicide bomb suspect has agreed to settle their suit against Scotland Yard, officials say.

Jury: London police shooting not lawful

LONDON, Dec. 12 (UPI) -- A Brazilian national shot dead by police in London after unconnected 2005 terror attacks was not killed lawfully by firearms officers, a jury has found.

Scotland Yard chief warns of criticism

LONDON, Sept. 22 (UPI) -- Scotland Yard's commissioner is warning London police they could be in for criticism for the 2005 death of an innocent man shot by terrorist-hunting officers.

Convicted terrorist's wife gets 15 years

LONDON, June 13 (UPI) -- The wife of one of the men involved in a failed transport bombing in London has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for helping her husband escape.

Scotland Yard chief under political fire

LONDON, Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Political pressure mounted in London on Scotland Yard and its chief, Ian Blair, amid internal inquiries and alleged abuse of expenses.

London police guilty in 2005 shooting

LONDON, Nov. 2 (UPI) -- A jury found London’s police force guilty of violating health and safety laws in the death of a Brazilian man during a counter-terrorism operation in 2005.

Met police to blamed for innocent killing

LONDON, Aug. 2 (UPI) -- An investigation into the shooting of a man mistakenly identified as a suicide bomber in Britain said the blame for the death lies with the Metropolitan Police.

Menezes' shooting subject of British film

LONDON, Feb. 14 (UPI) -- A British studio will film a drama about a Brazilian man killed by London police in the aftermath of the deadly 2005 subway bombings.

London home to new counter-terrorist unit

LONDON, Jan. 22 (UPI) -- London now has a Special Air Service counter-terrorist unit on standby to help police during incidents involving armed conflicts in the British capital.

No charges against officers in shooting

LONDON, July 17 (UPI) -- No charges will be filed against the anti-terror officers in Britain in the shooting of a Brazilian electrician last year due to insufficient evidence.

London police face lesser charges

LONDON, July 12 (UPI) -- London police are unlikely to face criminal charges in the killing of a Brazilian who they mistook for a terrorist man at a subway station, it was reported.

British police commander under fire

LONDON, June 4 (UPI) -- Britain's Crown Prosecution Service may charge Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair with gross negligence manslaughter.

Brazil, Britain talk trade and shooting

LONDON, March 9 (UPI) -- Brazilian and British leaders talked trade in meetings that were overshadowed by lingering concerns about last year's killing of a Brazilian man in London.

Top cop says Britain faces terror threat

LONDON, Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Britain's senior police officer says that police have uncovered at least three terrorist plots since the July 7 transit bombings.

Officers in Tube shooting may face charges

LONDON, Dec. 9 (UPI) -- The British police officers involved in shooting an unarmed man in a London Tube station may face criminal charges.
Prev
Page 1 of 3
Photos
Jean Charles de Menezes
Supported by her son, Brazilian Maria Otone de Menezes visits the shrine of her son 27-year-old Jean-Charles de Menezes who was mistakenly identified as a suicide bomber and shot seven times by British Metropolitan police at the time of the terrorist attacks in London on Wednesday September 28, 2005. The family have come to London to seek answers and justice for their dead son. (UPI Photo/Hugo Philpott)
Wiki

Jean Charles de Menezes (pronounced in Mineiro Portuguese) (7 January 1978 – 22 July 2005) was a Brazilian national shot dead by police at Stockwell tube station in London, England. He was shot in the head seven times at close range by Metropolitan Police officers ("The Met") who misidentified him as a suicide bomber about to explode a device on the London Underground. Within hours police discovered that he was not involved in any terrorist act, but was actually an innocent victim. Immediate and later accounts of what happened on the day of the shooting published in the press contradicted each other, specifically on the manner and clothing of Menezes as he entered the station, and the presence of police warnings before firing. The shooting sparked public debate over an apparent change in police policy, in which a shoot to kill practice known as Operation Kratos had been introduced to deal with terrorist threats.

On the day of the shooting, the police were hunting the four suspects on the run after the failed bombing of the London Underground (The Tube) the previous day, the 21 July 2005 London bombings (not to be confused with the 7/7 London bombings two weeks earlier). Intelligence had linked an address inside Jean Charles's home, a block of flats in the Tulse Hill area of south London, to the bombing. Police put the common entrance to the nine flats under surveillance. On the morning of the shooting, police sighted Jean Charles emerging from the entrance of the block. Plain clothes officers - who were armed with pistols for self-protection only - followed Menezes as he took a bus to Brixton tube station, before boarding another bus to Stockwell tube station having found Brixton to be closed. Shortly after Menezes entered Stockwell tube, more heavily-armed Specialist Firearms Officers who had been called to the scene entered the station, and shot Menezes dead shortly after he boarded a tube train, while the doors remained open and the train remained in the platform.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) launched two investigations into the shooting, termed Stockwell 1 and Stockwell 2. Stockwell 1, whose findings were initially kept secret, concluded that no officer involved in the shooting would face disciplinary charges, but made recommendations for changes to operational procedures to improve public safety in future anti-terrorist operations. Stockwell 2 strongly criticised the police command structure and communications to the public, bringing pressure on the Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair to resign. In July 2006, based on the IPCC findings, the Crown Prosecution Service announced that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute any of the officers involved in the shooting, who remain unnamed, although a corporate criminal prosecution of the Metropolitan Police was brought under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. This alleged that the Metropolitan Police service had failed in its duty of care to Menezes. After lodging a not guilty plea, on 1 November 2007 the service was found guilty and fined, although the jury added a rider that Cressida Dick, operational commander on the day, bore "no personal culpability".

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Jean Charles de Menezes."
Most Popular
1
Kelly Ripa's penthouse sells for $20M Kelly Ripa's penthouse sells for $20M
2
School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked School accused of using girl as rape bait; girl gets attacked
3
Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison Man who raped pit bull puppy sentenced to five years in prison
4
Physicists teleport photon over 15 miles Physicists teleport photon over 15 miles
5
40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike 40 Islamic State fighters killed in U.S. air strike
x
Feedback