Jump to
Latest Headlines Quotes Wiki
share with facebook
share with twitter
1 of 2
Holocaust Day of Remembrance Ceremony in Washington
Stephen T. Johns Jr., the son of slain Holocaust Memorial Museum security guard, holds a candle during a candle lighting ceremony at the Holocaust Day of Remembrance Ceremony in the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington on April 15, 2010. The ceremony, held in part by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, commemorated the 65th anniversary of the liberation of Nazi concentration camps. Johns' father was killed in the line of duty last year when James W. von Brunn entered the museum and went on a shooting spree. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
| License Photo

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting was a shooting at that nation's memorial to The Holocaust in Washington, D.C. on June 10, 2009, at 12:50 p.m. Shooting suspect James Wenneker von Brunn was charged in federal court on June 11, 2009, with first-degree murder and firearms violations. On July 29, 2009, von Brunn was indicted on seven counts, including four which make him eligible for the death penalty. In September of 2009, a judge ordered von Brunn to undergo a competency evaluation to determine whether or not he can stand trial. Von Brunn died on January 6, 2010.

According to the six-page indictment, von Brunn entered the building and shot security guard Stephen Tyrone Johns, who died from his injuries. Von Brunn was a white supremacist and Holocaust denier who had previously been arrested and convicted for entering a federal building with various weapons in 1981.

About 12:49 p.m., 88-year-old von Brunn drove his car to the 14th Street entrance of the museum. Von Brunn entered the museum when security guard Stephen Tyrone Johns opened the door for him. Authorities said he raised a .22-caliber rifle and shot Johns, who later died of his injuries at the George Washington University Hospital. Two security guards, Harry Weeks and Jason "Mac" McCuiston, returned fire, wounding von Brunn. According to police officers at the scene, a third person was injured by broken glass but refused treatment at the hospital.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "James W. Von Brunn."