Wiki

Fort George G. Meade, located adjacent to Odenton, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County, is an active U.S. Army installation. The fort, established in 1917, is named for General George Gordon Meade, a Union Army general in the American Civil War. It covers 5,067 acres (20.51 km2) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

Fort Meade is also home to Meade Senior High School, MacArthur Middle School, Meade Middle School and the National Cryptologic Museum.

Fort Meade was established in 1917 when the United States Department of War acquired 19,000 acres (77 kmĀ²) of land west of Odenton to develop a training camp. First known as Camp Annapolis Junction, the fort was named Camp Admiral at its opening in 1917. Other name changes occurred after construction of 1,460 buildings on the site when it became Camp George Gordon Meade then in the 1920s it became Fort Leonard Wood, but by the 1930s it reverted back to Fort George G. Meade.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Fort Meade."
x
Feedback