account
search
search
Jump to
Latest Headlines Wiki
share with facebook
share with twitter
share with google
1 of 19
TO GO WITH STORY BC-US-PNEUMONIA
FMP2003091506 - FORT MEADE, MD., SEPT. 13 (UPI) -- Soldiers from the 323rd Military Intelligence Battalion walk past the helmet and rifle of Staff Sergeant Richard Eaton Jr. during a memorial ceremony in his honor in Fort Meade, Md., on Sept. 13, 2003. Eaton died in Iraq on Aug. 12, 2003, with fluid in his lungs. To go with story BC-US-PNEUMONIA. rlw/MANNY CENETA UPI
| License Photo
Latest Headlines
First Prev Page 1 of 5 Last Next
Wiki

Fort George G. Meade, located adjacent to Odenton, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County, is an active U.S. Army installation. The fort, established in 1917, is named for General George Gordon Meade, a Union Army general in the American Civil War. It covers 5,067 acres (20.51 km2) in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.

Fort Meade is also home to Meade Senior High School, MacArthur Middle School, Meade Middle School and the National Cryptologic Museum.

Fort Meade was established in 1917 when the United States Department of War acquired 19,000 acres (77 kmĀ²) of land west of Odenton to develop a training camp. First known as Camp Annapolis Junction, the fort was named Camp Admiral at its opening in 1917. Other name changes occurred after construction of 1,460 buildings on the site when it became Camp George Gordon Meade then in the 1920s it became Fort Leonard Wood, but by the 1930s it reverted back to Fort George G. Meade.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Fort Meade."
x
Feedback