A school board in Canada has launched an investigation after school staff strip-searched 28 tenth grade students after a cell phone went missing during a final exam.
The students at Cap-Jeunesse high school north of Montreal were told to place their phones on the teacher's desk to prevent cheating during a math test. When one phone went missing, teachers ordered the strip search.
"They put us in a small room," one student told QMI. "[They said] 'take off your bra, then raise your arms.' They even tapped us on the back," she said.
"In the heat of the action, the decision seemed the best," said School board spokeswoman Nadyne Brochu. The she concedes "It was a disproportionate action under the circumstances."
"These are not measures that are recommended by either the school or the school board," Brochu added, noting that the school's principal was not informed of the teachers' decision to conduct the search.
"Once officials heard what had happened, they immediately contacted the students' parents to explain the situation," Brochu said. Students will be able to re-take the exam, according to Brochu, who said "the climate was not conducive to a good test."
The board didn't say if the teachers will face disciplinary action, saying only that "an administrative investigation is ongoing."
Rescuers pulled three people from icy waters Thursday evening after a collapsing bridge sent their cars tumbling down into the Skagit River.
The chunk of Interstate 5 spanning the river collapsed around 7 p.m. local time, which authorities said began after a semituck bearing an oversized load struck a steel beam, the Seattle Times reported.
The impact caused the bridge to wobble, then fall into the water. A gold pickup with a trailer and an orange SUV went with it.
"You talk miracles,” said Dan Sligh, 47, who was in the pickup with his wife, said in an interview outside the hospital. “I don’t know what you want to call it. When you’re sitting down in the water and all that mangled metal of the bridge. You look around and you pinch yourself.”
Sligh said his shoulder was dislocated and his wife knocked unconscious, but he was able to pull himself and her out of the truck and keep them both above water until help arrived.
The other driver, a 20-year-old man, was also able to get out of his vehicle.
Rescuers said they don't think anybody else went into the water, but would search Friday morning to be sure.
Although the 58-year-old bridge was inspected last year and repairs made, Washington Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson said, it had been classified by the National Bridge Inventory as "fracture critical," meaning damage to just one major structural part could take the whole thing down.
Authorities said the bridge will take at least three weeks to be fixed and reopen, forcing its daily traffic of about 70,000 vehicles to find an alternate route.
But despite the traffic nightmare descending on northwest Washington, everyone is mostly grateful the damage and death wasn't bigger.
"It's a miracle," said State Patrol trooper Jason Betts, the first officer on the scene after the collapse. "That's the only way I can explain it."
Georgia teen Chelsea Fearce graduated at the top of her Charles Drew High School class despite being homeless for most of her high school career.
“I just told myself to keep working, because the future will not be like this anymore,” Fearce told WSB-TV.
Her family of five occasionally shared an apartment, but those times were brief. “Ended up back in another shelter because I got laid off from my job maybe about four or five times,” Fearce’s mother, Reenita Shephard said.
Fearce would at times live out of her mother's car. “I just did what I had to do,” Fearce said. "Worry about being a little hungry sometimes, go hungry sometimes. You just have to deal with it. You eat what you can, when you can.”
Fearce scored a 1900 on the SAT and took all college courses during her last two years of high school, graduating as valedictorian with a 4.466 GPA. She will enter Spelman College as a junior in the fall.
Fearce’s sister is graduating this year as salutatorian from George Washington Carver High School in Atlanta. Their mother said "I read to them a lot. Everything was a learning experience."
Two days after making public a slew of photos showing their client's injuries, George Zimmerman's attorneys have released text messages and photos from Trayvon Martin's cell phone in an attempt to paint a violent and troubled picture of the teen.
Martin's texts talk about him being a fighter, smoking marijuana and getting kicked ouf of his house by his mom.
The pictures appear to show pot plants and a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol.
The evidence was released as part of the defense's formal notice to prosecution that they intend to use it as part of the trial, which begins June 10, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
For its part, the prosecutors say the information is not relevant and should be barred. Circuit Judge Debra Nelson will decide at a hearing on Tuesday.
The defense's case, and with it, Zimmerman's fate, hinges on its ability to prove that Martin was a threat to Zimmerman's life.
Zimmerman told police he shot Martin because he thought his life was in danger, after Martin broke his nose and knocked him to the ground, and then began hitting his head against the sidewalk.
All of the evidence released to the public by the former neighborhood watchman's attorneys has so far been in this vein, painting the dead teen as a kid who couldn't stay out of trouble.
Martin had no arrest record, but was suspended from school more than once, including once when he received a 10-day suspension after teachers found an empty marijuana baggie in his backpack.
"I was watcn a fight nd a teacher say I hit em," one of hist texts, from October 2011, read.
Another, from Nov. 22, 2011: "got mo hits cause in da 1st round he had me on da ground an I couldn't do ntn."
A statement from Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Martin's family, described the new evidence as "irrelevant red herrings" that were "a desperate and pathetic attempt by the defense to pollute and sway the jury pool."
Zimmerman's attorneys have also filed another request to delay the trial for six more weeks, explaining they need time to hire an audio expert to examine the cries for help on a 911 call recording described by the prosecution as Martin's.
Just weeks after getting three months probation for driving on a suspended license, New York police officers arrested Amanda Bynes on charges of marijuana possession, reckless endangerment and tampering with evidence, TMZ reported late Thursday night.
Sources told the gossip site that a building official called NYPD when Bynes began smoking a joint in the lobby of her apartment building. Bynes reportedly yelled "Don't you know who I am?" during the arrest.
According to E!, Bynes' doorman called 911 around 7:42 pm ET when he saw her in the lobby with pot.
By the time the police arrived, the 27-year-old actress had gone back to her apartment. Officers said they saw her throw a bong out of her apartment window in an apparent attempt to hide evidence.
NBC New York confirmed that Bynes was taken to Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan to undergo psychiatric evaluation before booking. She is expected to appear in court on Friday morning.
Joe Francis, who made himself a multi-millionaire with the popular "Girls Gone Wild" video series, railed against the jurors who recently convicted him of assault and false imprisonment in an expletive-laden rant published by The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday.
"I want that jury to know that each and every one of you are mentally f***ing retarded and you should be euthanized because, as Darwin said, you have naturally selected yourself," he said in the taped interview.
"You are the weakest members of the herd. Goodbye! And if that jury wants to convict me because I didn't show up, which is the only reason why they did, then, you know, they should all be lined up and shot!" Francis added.
The 40-year-old entrepreneur apologized Thursday saying that he has never been "a violent person."
"I deeply regret the remarks attributed to me in the interview with the Hollywood Reporter. They were hurtful and do not reflect my true feelings," Francis said in a statement.
"While I disagree with the jury's verdict as I am completely innocent of the charges and intend to appeal, I was afforded a fair trial, and if I lose at the appellate level, I will reluctantly but fully accept the jury's verdict," he added.
Earlier this month, Francis' was found guilty of imprisoning three women at his Los Angeles home after meeting them at a club in 2011. The women accused Francis of preventing them from leaving his gated home in Bel-Air.
Watch the explosive interview below:
Sir Christopher Lee, the British actor who made a name for himself in films like "The Lord of the Rings," "The Hobbit," and "Star Wars," will release his second metal album on May 27, his 91st birthday.
According to Ultimate Guitar, the actor's second metal record, titled "Charlemagne: The Omens of Death," was arranged by Judas Priest and Ritchie Faulkner. It follows up on his 2010 freshman album, "Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross."
"The first 'Charlemagne' album is metal, of course, but what I sang was more symphonic," the actor explains in the album's previous video.
You can preview the songs below. Lee provides some commentary at the end of the video.
Prompted by controversy over recently resurfaced comments CEO Mike Jeffries made in 2006, in which he said that his store only marketed to "cool, good-looking people," Abercombie & Fitch issued an apology:
According to the Huffington Post, the clothing brand's apology comes in the wake of a meeting with teen activists who had stormed the company's headquarters in Columbus, Ohio.
Also at the meeting was Benjamin O'Keefe, an eating disorder survivor, who took umbrage at the store's refusal to sell above a size 10, People reported. O'Keefe started a Change.org petition calling for Abercrombie to "make clothes for teens of all sizes."
"I'm happy to hear that Abercrombie took my passion and your voices to heart in this meeting and plans to take concrete steps to show their support for diversity and inclusion," O'Keefe said.
The company already issued this statement from Jeffries via Facebook last week:
"There's no other place better than Jersey!" the 49-year-old movie star said when he showed up at an advance screening for his new film, "World War Z," in Hoboken, N.J., on Wednesday.
The crowd burst into cheers when Brad Pitt popped up on stage at Clearview Cinemas.
"We've got T-shirts for everyone, and we've got a massive film for you. It's epic, it's scary as hell, and I guarantee you it's the most intense thing you're gonna see all summer," the A-list movie star told the crowd.
“Brad wanted to make sure that the screening was for the fans, the people that he made the film for,” a source told JustJared.com. “The crowd went wild when he showed up and he had t-shirts to hand out to his fans. He made sure to give New Jersey a big shout out before the movie started!”
According to People, Pitt also attended a star-studded screening in New York at the Museum of Modern Art, where he mingled friends like Julianna Marguiles and Kyra Sedgwick.
Here's the trailer for Pitt's upcoming zombie flick, which opens June 21.
In an attempt to defend Sergio Garcia's "fried chicken" dig at Tiger Woods, the European Tour's chief executive told Sky Sports that “most of Sergio’s friends happen to be coloured athletes in the United States."
O'Grady apologized on Thursday: "I deeply regret using an inappropriate word in a live interview for Sky Sports, for which I unreservedly apologise."
The controversy began when the 33-year-old Spanish golfer addressed his ongoing problems with Woods at an awards dinner on Tuesday.
"We will have him round every night," Garcia said when someone asked whether he'd be inviting his American competitor over for dinner. "We will serve fried chicken."
Woods called the comment "wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate," while Garcia issued this statement:
Garcia also said he hoped to speak with Woods "face-to-face."
"If I manage to speak with Tiger, it will be perfect. If not, I will definitely see him at the US Open and we can talk face to face."