The city of Detroit is facing $15 billion in debt, and emergency manager Kevyn Orr is considering whether the collection at Detroit Institute of Arts is a city asset that can be used to pay off city creditors.
The proposition has many people outraged, according to the Detroit Free Press. “There would be hue and cry the likes of which you’ve never heard,” said Ford Bell, president of the American Alliance of Museums in Washington, D.C.
The DIA’s masterpieces include some of the world’s most famous paintings by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Henri Matisse and Vincent van Gogh. A list of 38 of the museum's greatest treasures, including van Gogh’s “Self-Portrait” and Matisse’s “The Window,” was valued at $2.5 billion.
Bill Nowling, spokesman for Orr, said the city has "no interest in selling art," but said creditors have already inquired about the collection. "These are people savvy enough to know where all the money for the City of Detroit is," he said.
Unlike most major civic museums, the city owns the DIA building and collection, while daily operations and fundraising are handled by a non-profit organization.
DIA Executive Vice President Annmarie Erickson said the museum has hired New York bankruptcy attorney Richard Levin to advise ways to protect the collection. “We are standing by our contention and belief that we hold the collection in trust for the public,” Erickson said. “And although to some it may seem to be an asset, we do not.”
“We have to look at everything on the table,” Nowling said of the controversial liquidation. "I’m a great lover of art and so is Kevyn, we’ve got a responsibility to rationalize all the assets of the city and find out what the worth is and what the city holds," he said.
Catherine Zeta-Jones was spotted out driving in New York Tuesday, having completely treatment for bipolar II disorder after she checked herself in last month for what her husband, actor Michael Douglas, called her "10,000 mile checkup."
Zeta-Jones first revealed her diagnosis and decision to seek treatment in 2011, and returned to a healthcare facility at the end of April.
"Catherine has proactively checked into a healthcare facility," her representative, Cece Yorke, said. "Previously Catherine has said that she is committed to periodic care in order to manage her health in an optimum manner."
Douglas praised his wife's progress from Cannes, where he is in town to promote his HBO film "Behind the Candelabra."
"She's doing a really good job," he said. "I can't wait to see her. I'm proud of her."
A&E announced Thursday that it will be cancelling long standing docu-series "Intervention" after the end of the current season.
The series has five more episodes to go (beginning on June 13) before the series finale. A&E said the upcoming shows will be the most "intense" and "gripping" stories yet, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The show's cancelation comes after A&E's new series "Duck Dynasty" broke the network's ratings record during its season finale in April.
Over the course of its 13 seasons, "Intervention" was nominated for an Emmy award for "Outstanding Reality Series" twice. The show won the award in 2009.
Tim Curry reportedly suffered a major stroke at his Los Angeles home, and is recovering following his collapse.
Curry, 67, rose to fame as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in the 1975 cult film "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," and maintained a successful career on stage and in film.
"Tim is doing great," Curry's Los Angeles agent Marcia Hurwitz told the Daily Mail.
Though he appears on stage and on screen less frequently in recent years, Curry is one of Britain's best-loved and most prolific voice actors. Hurwitz says his voice has not been impaired as a result of the stroke.
"He absolutely can speak and is recovering at this time and in great humour," she said.
After an acclaimed run in Monty Python's "Spamalot," Curry backed out of his scheduled run as The Player in "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead," in 2011 citing ill health.
A 15-year-old boy from Utah was sent to juvenile detention after being questioned for the deaths of his two brothers.
ABC 4 reports the brother's mother called authorities Thursday after she found her 4-year-old son dead inside their home and she couldn't find her other two sons.
Officials later found the mother's 10-year-old son dead inside the home.
Davis County Sheriff Todd Richardson, said the wounds on the dead boys seemed to have come from a knife.
Richardson added that the 15-year-old brother had fled the house, but was caught by authorities shorty after midnight.
"He had some wounds," Richardson said.
After being aprehended by Layton police the teen was questioned and later sent to to a juvenile facility in Davis County.
According to Richardson, the teen acted alone and there are no others at large.
Gisele Bundchen introduced her sister Gabriela in an Instagram photo on Wednesday.
"So happy my sister Gabi is in town!/Super feliz que a minha mana Gabi esta aqui comigo" the 32-year-old model wrote alongside the photo.
Gabi, 31, is one of Bundchen's four sisters. She was in New York City Wednesday to help her supermodel sister celebrate her new BLK DNM ad campaign, Us Weekly reported.
A school board in Canada has launched an investigation after school staff strip-searched 28 tenth grade students after a cell phone went missing during a final exam.
The students at Cap-Jeunesse high school north of Montreal were told to place their phones on the teacher's desk to prevent cheating during a math test. When one phone went missing, teachers ordered the strip search.
"They put us in a small room," one student told QMI. "[They said] 'take off your bra, then raise your arms.' They even tapped us on the back," she said.
"In the heat of the action, the decision seemed the best," said School board spokeswoman Nadyne Brochu. The she concedes, "It was a disproportionate action under the circumstances."
"These are not measures that are recommended by either the school or the school board," Brochu added, noting that the school's principal was not informed of the teachers' decision to conduct the search.
"Once officials heard what had happened, they immediately contacted the students' parents to explain the situation," Brochu said. Students will be able to re-take the exam, according to Brochu, who said "the climate was not conducive to a good test."
The board didn't say if the teachers will face disciplinary action, saying only that "an administrative investigation is ongoing."
Rescuers pulled three people from icy waters Thursday evening after a collapsing bridge sent their cars tumbling down into the Skagit River.
The chunk of Interstate 5 spanning the river collapsed around 7 p.m. local time, which authorities said began after a semituck bearing an oversized load struck a steel beam, the Seattle Times reported.
The impact caused the bridge to wobble, then fall into the water. A gold pickup with a trailer and an orange SUV went with it.
"You talk miracles,” said Dan Sligh, 47, who was in the pickup with his wife, said in an interview outside the hospital. “I don’t know what you want to call it. When you’re sitting down in the water and all that mangled metal of the bridge. You look around and you pinch yourself.”
Sligh said his shoulder was dislocated and his wife knocked unconscious, but he was able to pull himself and her out of the truck and keep them both above water until help arrived.
The other driver, a 20-year-old man, was also able to get out of his vehicle.
Rescuers said they don't think anybody else went into the water, but would search Friday morning to be sure.
Although the 58-year-old bridge was inspected last year and repairs made, Washington Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson said, it had been classified by the National Bridge Inventory as "fracture critical," meaning damage to just one major structural part could take the whole thing down.
Authorities said the bridge will take at least three weeks to be fixed and reopen, forcing its daily traffic of about 70,000 vehicles to find an alternate route.
But despite the traffic nightmare descending on northwest Washington, everyone is mostly grateful the damage and death wasn't bigger.
"It's a miracle," said State Patrol trooper Jason Betts, the first officer on the scene after the collapse. "That's the only way I can explain it."
Georgia teen Chelsea Fearce graduated at the top of her Charles Drew High School class despite being homeless for most of her high school career.
“I just told myself to keep working, because the future will not be like this anymore,” Fearce told WSB-TV.
Her family of five occasionally shared an apartment, but those times were brief. “Ended up back in another shelter because I got laid off from my job maybe about four or five times,” Fearce’s mother, Reenita Shephard said.
Fearce would at times live out of her mother's car. “I just did what I had to do,” Fearce said. "Worry about being a little hungry sometimes, go hungry sometimes. You just have to deal with it. You eat what you can, when you can.”
Fearce scored a 1900 on the SAT and took all college courses during her last two years of high school, graduating as valedictorian with a 4.466 GPA. She will enter Spelman College as a junior in the fall.
Fearce’s sister is graduating this year as salutatorian from George Washington Carver High School in Atlanta. Their mother said "I read to them a lot. Everything was a learning experience."
Two days after making public a slew of photos showing their client's injuries, George Zimmerman's attorneys have released text messages and photos from Trayvon Martin's cell phone in an attempt to paint a violent and troubled picture of the teen.
Martin's texts talk about him being a fighter, smoking marijuana and getting kicked ouf of his house by his mom.
The pictures appear to show pot plants and a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson pistol.
The evidence was released as part of the defense's formal notice to prosecution that they intend to use it as part of the trial, which begins June 10, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
For its part, the prosecutors say the information is not relevant and should be barred. Circuit Judge Debra Nelson will decide at a hearing on Tuesday.
The defense's case, and with it, Zimmerman's fate, hinges on its ability to prove that Martin was a threat to Zimmerman's life.
Zimmerman told police he shot Martin because he thought his life was in danger, after Martin broke his nose and knocked him to the ground, and then began hitting his head against the sidewalk.
All of the evidence released to the public by the former neighborhood watchman's attorneys has so far been in this vein, painting the dead teen as a kid who couldn't stay out of trouble.
Martin had no arrest record, but was suspended from school more than once, including once when he received a 10-day suspension after teachers found an empty marijuana baggie in his backpack.
"I was watcn a fight nd a teacher say I hit em," one of hist texts, from October 2011, read.
Another, from Nov. 22, 2011: "got mo hits cause in da 1st round he had me on da ground an I couldn't do ntn."
A statement from Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Martin's family, described the new evidence as "irrelevant red herrings" that were "a desperate and pathetic attempt by the defense to pollute and sway the jury pool."
Zimmerman's attorneys have also filed another request to delay the trial for six more weeks, explaining they need time to hire an audio expert to examine the cries for help on a 911 call recording described by the prosecution as Martin's.