MANASSAS, Va., Feb. 22 (UPI) -- Listeria monocytogenes bacteria was detected in samples of cheese that have been linked to a death in California and the sickening of at least seven other people in Maryland, health officials said.
Virginia's Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services said that listeria was found in fresh cheese curd "likely produced by Roos Foods of Kenton, Del.," and later repackaged by a Mega Mart food store chain in Virginia.
The Centers for Disease Control said seven people in Maryland were sickened after saying they had eaten "soft or semi-soft Hispanic-style cheese and shopped at different locations of the same food store chain."Individuals who purchased this product should not consume the cheese and should discard any remaining portions. Those who have already consumed the product should be aware of the risks and symptoms associated with Listeria monocytogenes infection," the laboratory said.
It's unclear if the California victim also ate the cheese in question.