The former contestant of the dancing contest announced her departure to fans Saturday night.
A source told People the move was shocking.
"It was a shock they let Brooke go," a source tells PEOPLE. "The cast and crew loved her. It's very sad."
Burke-Charvet, a professional dancer and model, released a statement to E! Online in reaction to the news.
"I have enjoyed seven seasons co-hosting DWTS but understand the need for change considering the position of the show at this juncture," Burke-Charvet said.
"I've always been one to embrace change and looking forward to pursuing opportunities I previously wasn't able to entertain because of contractual obligations to the show. I've seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake."
There's no word on who, if anyone, will be replacing Burke-Charvet.
NBC reportedly holds celebs hostage to Jimmy Fallon's show
Millions of Getty images now available for free via embed tool