"My fans are so important to me and I would never want to disappoint them," she said. "But it has become clear to me and those close to me that after many years of putting my work first, I need to spend some time on myself in order to be the best person I can be."
The tour would have marked Gomez's first in the region, so fans were understandably shattered about its cancellation.
I was looking forward to my FIRST EVER CONCERT with SELENA GOMEZ and I just found out she canceled her Australia tour I cried @selenagomez— Jessica Nash (@Nash101J) December 20, 2013
However, the 21-year-old did let an F-bomb slip at Z100's annual Jingle Ball earlier this month.
"What the f***?" she said into the mic when she began having sound problems.
"Sorry, the sound isn't working!" she said. "I have to thank you guys so much for allowing me to be able to perform the music that I love."
Gomez promised to perform two more songs but left suddenly after one.
2014: NFL Cheerleaders [PHOTOS]
Soviets call Reagan joke 'dangerous' [ARCHIVE]