A British family is stuck staying in a hotel while their home is fumigated after Brazilian Wandering spiderlings hatched from an egg sack stuck on bananas that made their way from South America to a London shop.
"I thought it was mold," said Consi Taylor, 29, of the white egg sac. "But when I had a closer look I saw some funny looking spots, and was horrified to see they were spiders."
"They were hatching out on the table, scurrying around on my carpet," she said.
Brazilian Wandering Spiders, also known as banana spiders, are considered the most venomous spiders in the world, and the pest control company to whom Taylor sent a picture told her to get out quickly.
Taylor, with her husband Richard, 37, and their two children, spent three nights in a hotel while their home was fumigated. They also had all their clothes dry cleaned and, when added to the hotel bill and pest control, cost the family £1,000.
Sainsbury's initially tried to pay the Taylors just £10 in return for the obviously inedible bananas, but ended up paying for the cleanup and hotel stay.
"We're very sorry and have apologized to Mr. and Mrs. Taylor," a spokesman for the supermarket said.
"We do have rigorous controls on imported products at all stages -- from harvesting to transportation -- which is why this is so rare."
Turkey considering to use pistachios to heat country’s first eco-city
Lytro unveils camera that can focus a photo after shooting it