Rumors earlier this week put Tim Tebow at the play-calling spot, but the Rams aimed higher. St. Louis called Favre Sunday night, asking whether the 44-year-old retired quarterback would be willing to play the remainder of the Rams's schedule.
One source familiar with the Rams' conversations said if Favre took them up on their interest, "it could break Twitter."
Favre has not played since December 2010. He said that he will not come out of retirement, especially in light of recent memory loss he says may be tied to concussions he suffered in the league.
"I think after 20 years, God only knows the toll," he said.
Brett Favre told WSPZ-AM he doesn't feel physically able to compete and expressed fear that he has been affected by concussions.— Sports Recall (@SportsRecall) October 25, 2013
"It's flattering, but you know there's no way I'm going to do that," Favre said.
Favre's 2010 season with the Minnesota Vikings was ended by a shoulder injury. He decided to end his career from there.
"I had a great career. I think if anything, the last year that I played was an obvious writing-on-the-wall vision for you, if you will," he said. "It was time."
The Rams ended up signing Brady Quinn after he was released by the New York Jets this week. They also brought back Austin Davis, who played for the Rams in 2012 before being dropped in the preseason this year.
Trader Joe's: Car crashes into Long Island store, injuring 11
Reindeer recovered after escaping from Santa during lighting ceremony