Officials at Blocker Middle School called EMS once they realized that the girls had ingested meth. They were released into the custody of their parents after being treated at a local hospital.
"There are six eighth-grade girls currently suspended while the investigation is still going on," said Texas City School District spokeswoman Melissa Tortorici. She said the school has never seen anything like this before.
The school district and the Galveston County Sheriff's Office are still looking into the matter. "Until the investigation is complete, we will not know the disciplinary action that will be implemented," said Tortorici.
The meth-like substance was on small pieces of paper wrapped in tinfoil and lab analysis of the samples is underway. Preliminary tests showed methamphetamine and officials believe that users place the paper stamps in their mouths and allow them to dissolve.
Sheriff Henry Trochesset said the drug is so potent it can be absorbed through the skin if touched, something he says he has never seen before. “If it was my child I’d be extremely upset," Trochesset said.
A letter informing parents about the incident was sent home. Principal Julie Southworth wrote that she hoped the incident was an isolated one.
Celebrity Families of 2014 [PHOTOS]