UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Paul Oliver may not have meant to kill himself, family member says

Chargers safety Paul Oliver, who died last month from a self-inflicted gunshot to the head, may not have intentionally killed himself.
  |
 
San Diego Chargers safety Paul Oliver (27) recovers a fumble in front of Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Charlie Johnson (74). Oliver died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head last month, but his uncle said he thinks it was an accident. UPI /Mark Cowan
San Diego Chargers safety Paul Oliver (27) recovers a fumble in front of Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Charlie Johnson (74). Oliver died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head last month, but his uncle said he thinks it was an accident. UPI /Mark Cowan 
License photo
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
By CAROLINE LEE, UPI.com

Former Chargers safety Paul Oliver may not have intentionally killed himself, according to a new interview with one of his relatives.

Oliver, 29, died last month from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. A police report from the incident depicts Oliver as potentially suffering from depression at the time of his death.

The report also says that Oliver and his wife were arguing just before his death. Oliver, who had been drinking, fired his pistol into the ceiling of his home.

He put another clip in the gun before walking down the stairs and firing another shot into his head in front of his wife and children.

Oliver's uncle, David Scandrett, said he doesn't believe Oliver meant to kill himself.

"True enough it was self-inflicted," Scandrett said.

"I don't think he knew the gun. When you fire a round, the clip throws another round right into the chamber. When you take the clip out, you might think you are emptying the gun, but you're not. It was an automatic. He was trying to scare her." They were having an argument, but I'm not sure what it was about.

Follow @cmlee and @UPI on Twitter.
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Kim Kardashian shares picture of baby North on Instagram
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...
If you're around Lakewood, Wa, a lot of angry veterans and soldiers would like you to keep your...