UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

UC Berkeley explosion tied to copper wire theft

University of California-Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof explained the reasons behind the explosion that followed a power outage on the school's main campus on Monday night.
  |
 
Published: Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM
By VERONICA LINARES, UPI.com

At least one person was hospitalized, and three others had minor injuries, after a massive explosion took place at the University of California-Berkeley following a power outage Monday.

The explosion, which prompted the evacuation of the main campus, was reported near Sather Tower north of California Hall at around 6:30 p.m. roughly two hours after a power system failure was reported said UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof.

The blast and fire, which left four people with minor burns, was probably caused by the theft of copper wire from an off-campus electrical station, said Mogulof.

The spokesman went on to say the stolen wire was discovered last week and repaired Sunday.

"We have a strong suspicion that what happened is related to vandalism discovered last week,” Mogulof told reporters. “The damage they caused may have been far more extensive than we originally thought.”

He added the blast area was two stories high and two roadway-lanes wide. In addition, the shock darkened residence halls and triggered an ammonia leak, which was contained.

Mogulof explained the explosion took place as engineers were attempting to bring power back.

“Something happened here that surprised the experts,” he said. “Somebody attacked our system. Somebody stole key parts of our system.”

The UC Berkeley campus remained dark for most of Monday night, but power began to be restored in stages early Tuesday.

"We are waiting, checking, testing. It's a huge campus so it's going to take a while. Obviously our top priority is to continue providing academic activity on the campus, but that's not going to trump life safety," he said.

Power was expected to be fully on in time for classes Tuesday morning. As for student's dorms Mogulof explained each residential dorm is equipped with a backup generator that would allow students to congregate, do homework and watch television.



Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Not news: Home Depot fired employees to cut costs during hard economic times. News: They targeted...
Over the years Nobel laureates have used their prize money on everything from upgrading a motorbike...
Photoshop this off-course submarine
Don't have the heart to tell your bride and her parents that you forgot to book the hall for the...
Can we have a R.I.P. for the country's oldest Medal of Honor recipient? He was just a Bayonne guy...
Deputies searching for the two men who climbed through a McDonald's drive-thru and robble robbled...