UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Reality show 'Cold Justice' gets murder confession

TNT's "Cold Justice" prompted a murder confession from a Texas man who shot his girlfriend 12 years ago.
  |
 
Yolanda McClary (left) and Kelly Siegler in TNT's reality series "Cold Justice." (Credit: TNT)
Yolanda McClary (left) and Kelly Siegler in TNT's reality series "Cold Justice." (Credit: TNT)
Published: Sept. 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM
By KRISTEN BUTLER, UPI.com

TNT's reality series "Cold Justice" has led to a real murder confession and prosecution.

While shooting the series pilot in fall 2012, former Texas prosecutor Kelly Siegler and her co-star, a former Las Vegas police detective, found evidence that a suicide 12 years ago wasn't a suicide at all.

The 2001 shooting of Pamela Shelly had been ruled a suicide until Siegler found evidence implicating Shelly's then-boyfriend, Joe Hendrick.

Attention surrounding the show's premiere Sept. 3 prompted a mistrial, but Hendrick, 41, confessed to the killing and changed his plea to guilty Sept. 10, and received a 22-year prison sentence.

"This was definitely a unique situation," said "Cold Justice" executive producer Jane Lipsitz. "Because so much time had passed between filming the pilot and going to trial, it was able to coincide with the airing."

The unscripted series premiered to 2.9 million viewers, putting it in the top 10 unscripted premieres in 2013, a much-needed turnaround for TNT, which recently flopped "72 Hours," "The Hero" and "The Great Escape"

Though "Cold Justice" has not yet been renewed for a second season, producers are scouting cases. Lipsitz says viewers close to unsolved crimes have flooded the show with requests.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...
If you're around Lakewood, Wa, a lot of angry veterans and soldiers would like you to keep your...