UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Neiman Marcus sold for $6 billion

  |
 
(<a class="tpstyle" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Neiman_Marcus_Boston.jpg" target="_blank">Wikimedia Commons</a>)
Published: Sept. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
By KATE STANTON, UPI.com

A Canadian pension plan has teamed up with a U.S. private equity firm, Ares Management LLC, to buy Neiman Marcus, one of America's most recognizable names in luxury retail.

In the terms of the $6 billion deal, which was announced Monday, Ares and the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) would have equal stakes in the company, while Neiman's management would retain a minority stake.

CPPIB senior vice president André Bourbonnais told the Financial Post that "iconic" brands at Neiman Marcus swayed his decision.

“These iconic brands don’t really come on the market very often,” Bourbonnais said.

“We feel good about the price we paid. We feel good about the growth potential,” he added. “I don’t think we’re overlooking anything just because of the brand.”

“I have great confidence that our customers, associates and vendor partners will share my enthusiasm that our new investors will help us pursue a business dedicated to luxury and fashion, attentive service and innovative marketing,” Neiman chief executive Karen Katz said in a statement.

Ares, a Los Angeles-based management company, has previously invested in House of Blues and General Nutrition Centers.

“We plan on investing meaningful capital into the business to ensure Neiman’s long-term position as the unparalleled leader in luxury retail,” Ares said in a statement.

Neiman's previous owners, private equity firms TPG Capital and Warburg Pincus, had planned to take the retailer public with an initial public offering, but an expert told USA Today that they stood to gain more from the sale.

"This is a big win for them relative to an IPO," said Mark Cohen, a Columbia business school professor and former CEO of Sears Canada.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Shepherds guide 2,000 sheep through Madrid, Spain, and hope their attempt to save ancient herding...
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...