UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro found hanging in prison cell

  |
 
Published: Sept. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
By KATE STANTON, UPI.com

The Cleveland man sentenced to life plus 1,000 years in prison for the kidnapping and rape of three women was found hanging in his Ohio prison cell Tuesday night, state corrections officials confirmed.

Ariel Castro, 53, was housed by himself in protective custody at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, Ohio, so that prison staff could check on him every 30 minutes.

Prison medical staff failed to revive the former bus driver, who was then taken to Ohio State University Medical Center and pronounced dead less than two hours later.

"A thorough review of this incident is underway and more information can be provided as it becomes available pending the status of the investigation," the Ohio Department of Corrections said in a statement.

Castro previously admitted to holding Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight captive in his Cleveland home for more than a decade until last May, when neighbors heard Berry calling for help.

In July, Castro pleaded guilty to 937 counts of a 977-count indictment, including aggravated murder, kidnapping and rape. He was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years without the possibility of parole.

"I'm not a monster. I'm just sick," Castro said at his sentencing. "I have an addiction. Just like an alcoholic has an addiction."

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...
If you're around Lakewood, Wa, a lot of angry veterans and soldiers would like you to keep your...