British police said they would examine new information regarding the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed on August 31, 1997.
Scotland Yard stressed it was not reopening the investigation, which was completed in 2008 after a jury determined Diana and Al Fayed were unlawfully killed when their driver, who had been drinking, slammed into a cement post in a Paris tunnel.
The new information reportedly comes from a letter claiming a British Army commando unit was involved in the crash. The letter was sent by the family of a woman going through a divorce from a British soldier, alleging the solider made the claims to his soon-to-be ex-wife.
"The Metropolitan Police Service is scoping information that has recently been received in relation to the deaths and assessing its relevance and credibility," Scotland Yard said in statement.
"This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget," the statement said, referring to the investigation into conspiracy theories surrounding the crash.
Mohammed Al Fayed, Dodi's father, has long maintained the couple was murdered, but was not aware of this latest development before its release.
"This should be kicked into the long grass like every other conspiratorial allegations," said Dai Davies, the former head of royal protection with the Metropolitan Police Service. "And I'm really saddened that yet again, two princes have to face yet another nonsensical allegation, and I'll bet anything I have that this is sheer nonsense."