Nearly 3,000 people who had been evacuated from their homes north of Los Angeles were allowed to return to survey the damage left in the wake of the massive Powerhouse wildfire.
Fire officials had the blaze about 60 percent contained by Monday night, when cooler temperatures and rising humidity helped them build containment lines, the LA Times reported. More than 32,000 acres had been burned, destroying at least seven structures and threatening about a thousand more.
The fire had been burning since Thursday, when it broke out in Francisquito Canyon near the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power facility.
"This is just stuff. But it still hurts when you don't have your stuff," said Joe Biviano, who had been staying with friends in Palmdale and returned to find his four-bedroom home had been burnt to the ground. "It's a part of life."
"We have to get through these hard parts," he said. "There's a blessing at the end of this, I know it."
Firefighters say they expect the blaze to last another week.