account
search
search

Tsarnaev claims innocence in call to mother

  |   May 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 of 2
| License Photo
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings who is currently recovering from his wounds at a Massachusetts hospital, claimed he had no idea how he got there and that he was innocent in a call he made to his mother in Russia.

The IDesignTimes reports Tsarnaev, who is now able to walk without a wheelchair, was recently allowed to call his mother Zubeidat Tsarnaeva for the first time.

According to Tsarnaeva, 19-year-old Tsarnaev "didn't hold back his emotions" during the call. She said it was as if he was "screaming to the world: What is this? What's happening?."

Both the mother and father of the suspect have maintained that the two sons were innocent and had no involvement in the Boston Marathon bombings.

However, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's new state of amnesia doesn't quite match earlier reports about his condition. The suspect was well enough to be read his Miranda rights last week and he told officials that no higher terrorist organizations had been involved in the attack.

Neither Tsarnaeva nor her husband will return to the U.S. to claim Tamerlan Tsarnaev's body or to attend Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's trial. The father cited he couldn't come due to health reasons and the mother is not allowed in the country due to previous felony shoplifting charges.

In found guilty, Tsarnaev could face the death penalty. The pre-trial date is currently set for July 2.

Related UPI Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback