Former New York Rep. Anthony Weiner gave an interview full of apologies on NBC 4 New York Wednesday, paving the way for a mayoral run. He also indicated there could be more revelations related to his 2011 sexting scandal.
"Basically, New Yorkers know the story. I did it. I did it with multiple people. These things were wrong and inappropriate, and I never should have been dishonest about it."
Weiner resigned his Brooklyn congressional seat in June 2011 after using Twitter to send sexually suggestive photos of himself to women and then claiming he’d been hacked once it became public. He eventually confessed and left the public spotlight. His wife, Huma Abedin, a senior adviser to Hillary Clinton, was pregnant with their first child at the time.
"They played out in the most public and embarrassing way possible. And that’s it," Weiner said, adding that although Abedin has forgiven him, he will probably be apologizing for the rest of his life.
Asked when he was going to announce whether he would run, Weiner replied, “It’s a matter of days --maybe weeks -- but not more.”
On the possibility that more women could come forward with scandalous messages or photos, Weiner said “Some things may come out that are true. Some things are not."
Weiner has returned to the social network he got into trouble on, and his new verified Twitter account is @anthonyweiner. Last week he relaunched anthonyweiner.com, which had been dormant since his resignation in 2011. He had already begun preparing for a 2013 run before his sexting became public, and still has more than $4 million in his campaign account.