CBS news reports Marek Lapinski, 24, passed away at Dr. Steven Paul's office after he began coughing during a wisdom teeth extraction surgery and went into cardiac arrest. He was immediately taken to the hospital where he died a few days later.
According to his sister Natalie Lapinski, the victim was given six different sedatives during the surgery and his oxygen levels showed he went up to 10 minutes without air.
Ambulance officials said they found a piece of gauze in the man's airway, it's still unclear if he died from choking on the piece of fabric.
"I was told by the hospital that they weren't sure if this was all caused by him choking on a piece of gauze," said the victim's mother, April Lapinski.
While investigators wait for the autopsy result an attorney for Paul claimed the victim did not pass away because of medical malpractice.
"Mr. Lapinski's complications occurred despite the fact there were no apparent contraindications for his oral surgery, routine anesthetic medications were being used for the procedure, and immediate measures were undertaken to revive the patient as soon as the patient began to decompensate," he said.
Beautician charged with giving client fatal silicone butt injection
McPhee, Cokas 'working on their marriage' after affair