A Florida utility was flooded with phone calls from residents concerned about the safety of its water after a classic April Fools' prank perpetrated by two radio DJs. The hoax sent listeners into a panic, prompting Lee County utilities to issue a release assuring the public that the water supply was safe.
Popular Gator Country 101.9 morning hosts Val St. John and Scott Fish began announcing on the air Monday morning that there was "dihydrogen monoxide" in the Lee County water supply, WFTV reports. The fancy chemical name for water that confused so many listeners just means two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen -- or H2O.
A post on the "Val and Scott in the Morning" Facebook page reads, "'Dihydrogen monoxide'.... there’s water in the water!"
The hosts have been suspended indefinitely. "They made a bad call. It was a bad call," said Gator Country General Manager Tony Renda. The station spent the rest of the day apologizing on the air. “This messes with the big three food, water and shelter. You can't mess with those, and we did," station officials said.