UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Colorado theater gunman to enter plea

Experts expect James Holmes, the alleged perpetrator of a mass shooting at a theater in Aurora, Colo., to plead not guilty by reason of insanity to 166 felony charges.
|
 
 
License photo
Published: March. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM
By GABRIELLE LEVY, UPI.com

The gunman who opened fire at an Aurora, Colo., movie theater is expected to plead not guilty by reason of insanity to the more than 150 charges he faces for the July rampage that killed 12 and injured 58 others

An insanity plea would complicate the prosecutors' decision of whether to seek the death penalty against James Eagan Holmes, 25, who entered the Aurora theater shortly after the start of a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20, 2012 and sprayed the crowd with gunfire.

Holmes reportedly made several attempts at suicide in November, while in jail awaiting his arraignment.

According to Colorado Bar Association, for an insanity defense "a person [must be] is so diseased or defective in mind at the time of the commission of the act as to be incapable of distinguishing right from wrong with respect to that act is not accountable."

Holmes, should he make an insanity plea, would waive medical confidentiality and turn over the name of his treating physicians, medical records, and submit to testing by doctors so the state can assess his mental state.

Holmes's defense attorneys attempted to strike parts of the state's insanity defense laws as unconstitutional, claiming the required psychiatric evaluation violated the right to avoid self incrimination. Those claims were dismissed by a judge last week.

Family members of some of the victims told CNN an insanity plea would allow Holmes to get away with crimes for which he allegedly spent months building an arsenal and scoping the theater.

He is "absolutely not" insane, said Jessica Watts, whose cousin was among those killed in the theater. "This was months and months of planning and thousands of dollars spent on his part in order to pull this horrific night off."

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
Radioactive products from the last century: toothpaste, chocolate, suppositories. What were we thinking?...
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army