facebook
twitter
search
search

Death toll climbs after car bomb 'terror attack' on Turkish military barracks in Ankara

By Andrew V. Pestano and Doug G. Ware   |   Updated Feb. 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM

ANKARA, Turkey, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Numerous people were killed in an explosion Wednesday from a suspected terrorist car bombing that targeted military personnel at a barracks in Turkey's capital, government officials said.

The blast occurred at about 6:15 p.m. local time, the peak of rush hour, on Wednesday in Ankara near the Turkish Parliament and targeted a convoy of military personnel, officials said.

The death toll began at five but continued to climb in the hours after the blast. Officials said late Wednesday that nearly 30 people had been confirmed dead.

A spokesman for Turkey's ruling Justice and Development party (AKP), Ömer Çelik, called the explosion a "heinous act of terrorism." Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag also described the explosion as an act of terrorism.

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said an investigation is underway.

"We have received information and we are looking into it," he said in a statement.

Dozens were injured in the blast.

Turkey has already been a target of terror since the start of the new year. Ten people were killed in a suicide bombing in Istanbul last month. The culprit is believed to be a supporter of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, also known as ISIL.

More than 100 were killed in an October ISIL attack in Ankara.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility for Wednesday's blast.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories