RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 2 (UPI) -- Saudi Arabia announced the arrest Tuesday of 88 men the Ministry of Interior says were "on the verge of implementing" attacks both within the Kingdom and abroad.
The arrests reportedly came after months of surveillance.
Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki said the arrested were members of six terror cells that included "family members who have sent their sons to terrorist organizations abroad" and others seeking "to join terrorist groups to conduct terrorist operations."
Fifty-nine of the men had been arrested previously, said al-Turki, adding "It is unfortunate that some of those who had completed their sentences and were released by court orders returned to their previous ways."
The Ministry of Interior did not provide any further information regarding the plots the men were allegedly "on the verge of implementing."
The arrests follow a warning from Saudi King Abdullah that extremists like the Islamic State "will reach Europe in a month and America in another month" if they are ignored.