Hamas representatives at negotiations in Cairo, which were organized to build a framework for a durable peace, said Wednesday there was no intention on their part to extend the truce past its Thursday deadline. Meanwhile, several thousand people attending a rally in Gaza heard Hamas official Mushir al-Masri say, "Our fingers are on the trigger and our rockets are trained at Tel Aviv."
Israel warned Hamas not to renew its rocket fire. Over 3,300 projectiles were launched into Israel from Gaza in the four weeks of conflict, very few of which caused damage.
"They shouldn't test us," Israeli Cabinet minister Yair Lapid said Thursday, adding Israeli military forces, which withdrew from Gaza earlier in the week, were "prepared and ready." He added that "any rocket fire will be answered with heavy fire."
Both sides appear to be ready for a renewal of the hostilities that have left over 1,900 dead in Gaza. The truce allowed a search for bodies buried in the rubble of buildings destroyed by airstrikes. Shifa Hospital in Gaza City reported its morgue was nearly empty, the remains of victims having been claimed for burial.