Five-hour truce ends in Gaza, Hamas renews shelling

Hamas rocket fire began anew at 3 p.m. Thursday.
By Ed Adamczyk Follow @adamczyk_ed Contact the Author   |   July 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM
| License Photo

JERUSALEM, July 17 (UPI) -- A five-hour truce between Israel and militants in Gaza ended at the assigned time Thursday, with rockets sailing into Israel, renewing the hostilities.

Both sides agreed to a "humanitarian cease-fire", so that Gaza residents who have survived nine days of airstrikes -- directed at buildings suspected of housing Hamas leaders and bureaucracy -- could safely leave their homes.

Over 1,000 rockets from Gaza have rained down on Israel as well, but with less accuracy and fewer casualties. Hamas agreed to the temporary truce after 220 of Gaza's residents, the majority of them civilians, were killed in the nine-day confrontation.

From 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Thursday it was quiet. Efforts are underway to broker another truce, to begin Friday evening.

At dawn, prior to the Thursday truce, 13 Gazan militants were attacked from the air as they emerged from a tunnel under the border near an Israeli border community. It was not clear if they all were killed, but the incursion into Israel was the first non-aerial military movement in the conflict.

The Israeli military is aware of a network of tunnels beneath the border, but destroying them from the air is difficult, an argument held by those who prefer a ground invasion of Gaza. At least 40,000 Israeli military personnel are stationed on the border and are prepared to invade, should that order come.

Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner referred to the tunnel incident as "a terrorist attack that could have had devastating consequences" had it not been discovered.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Gaza
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
Putin congratulates U.S. on Independence Day
Immigrant who shot S.F. woman was deported 5 times in the past, police say
Greek economy reaches low point on eve of referendum
9 injured when fireworks explode in crowd