facebook
twitter
search
search

Four explosions rock Cairo's subway system, wounding at least six

Conflicting reports are coming out Cairo, with media reporting six small explosions, and the Interior Ministry confirming only two.
By Ananth Baliga   |   June 25, 2014 at 9:01 AM
| License Photo

CAIRO, June 25 (UPI) -- Egyptian media is reporting four explosions in Cairo's subway system and two outside a courthouse in Heliopolis, injuring at least six people Wednesday.

According to Egyptian news site Al-Ahram, three small bombs exploded at three different metro stations early Wednesday morning, injuring at least five people. A fourth bomb then went off injuring a sixth person. Two bombs, placed beneath cars, exploded near a courthouse in Heliopolis but no injuries were reported.

Egypt's state TV channel reported three people were injured at Shubra station, while one person was injured at Ghamra station. A senior ambulance official said a fifth person was injured at the Hadyek Al-Quba station and the sixth person, reported by Al-Ahram's Arabic news site, was injured at the Ezbet Al-Nakhl station.

Contrary to media claims, Egypt's Ministry of Interior reported on its Facebook page that only two explosions occurred: one in Shubra and one in Ghamra. Interior ministry spokesman Abdel-Fattah Othman said the first explosion was caused by an improvised bomb and the second was the result of a sonic explosive placed in a trash can at the station.

The two bombs in Helipolis were reportedly placed beneath two cars parked outside the courthouse and resulted in no injuries. A third bomb was found in the vicinity and defused by officials, according to Al-Ahram.

These are the first attacks to take place after Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi was sworn in earlier this month. Islamist militants have increased attacks on Egyptian security forces following the removal of former President Mohamed Morsi last July.

Most of the attacks have been in the Sinai Peninsula but have gradually spilled over into Cairo and the Nile Delta. Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, an Al-Qaeda-inspired group based in Sinai, has in the past claimed responsibility for major attacks on Egyptian security forces, as well as an assassination attempt on the interior minister last year.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Oklahoma Supreme Court denies rehearing, again orders removal of Ten Commandments statue
Plane crash kills four in Wisconsin
North Korea is 'source country' for forced labor, sex trafficking, says report
Youngest murderer convicted as adult to be released
Mike Huckabee stands by comment comparing Iran deal to Holocaust