Water pollution problem severe in China, report says

China's water pollution problem is growing, with the majority of areas checked by a government ministry showing poor water quality.
By Ed Adamczyk   |   April 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM   |   Comments

| License Photo
BEIJING, April 24 (UPI) -- The majority of areas monitored by the Chinese government for water pollution last year received “very poor” or “relatively poor” grades, a report by the Chinese Ministry of Land and Resources said.

Monitoring 4,778 locations in 203 cities, the ministry said that underground water quality was “relatively poor” in 43.9 percent of locations, meaning the water required treatment before human consumption. 15.7 percent of locations rated “very poor,” meaning the water should not be consumed. The total of 59.6 percent of locations with inadequate water quality compares to 2012’s total of 57.4 percent.

The report confirmed that China’s water, like its soil and air, is contaminated by industrial growth. Benzene was found in the tap water of Lanzhou, a city with a population of 3.6 million, earlier in April. And a 2012 chemical spill at a Changzhi fertilizer factory shut down the water supply of the city of Handan, with over one million people.

The report reinforced fears that Chinese industrial facilities -- particularly those along waterways -- were threatening the nation’s water supply.

Since its release Tuesday, the report has become a lively topic of conversation in online discussion, with many readers commenting on the government’s environmental and water management policies.

Follow @adamczyk_ed and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
Amish girls allegedly lured by captors with puppy
Kamala Harris to appeal court ruling against death penalty
Ten years later: Where's 'The Scream'?
Pentagon releases video of U.S. air strikes against IS
Ahmed Davutoglu nominated as Turkey's new prime minister
Trending News