Ebola death toll in Guinea reduced to 61

Official testing proves death toll from Ebola virus in Guinea is 61, not 122 as originally believed.
By Danielle Haynes Follow @DanielleHaynes1 Contact the Author   |   April 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

CONAKRY, Guinea, April 20 (UPI) -- Guinea's Health Ministry reduced the number of people killed by the deadly Ebola virus outbreak from 122 to 61.

The government had initially said 122 were confirmed dead from the hemorrhagic fever, but a closer look at figures and testing proved the number is exactly half of that.

“The death toll reduction is due to the cleaning of figures because there had been a lot of confusion,” said Sakoba Keita, head of epidemic prevention at the ministry. “Some deaths were recorded three times.”
The virus kills up to 90 percent of people who contract it.

The unique strain causing an outbreak in West Africa has also killed 13 people in Liberia.

[Bloomberg] [World Health Organization]

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement