facebook
twitter
search
search

Five men convicted of two gang rapes at abandoned mill in Mumbai

March 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM

MUMBAI, March 20 (UPI) -- Five men charged in two gang rape cases at the closed Shakti Mills compound in India were convicted, while two juveniles await trial, court officials said.

Lawyers said the verdicts handed down in Mumbai Thursday by Judge Shalini Phansalkar Joshi came just seven months after the complaints were filed, the Times of India reported.

The cases involved a photojournalist who was assaulted and gang raped while on assignment at the closed mill last year and a 19-year-old telephone operator who was attacked while as she was taking a short cut to a railway station with her boyfriend.

The two cases that were tried simultaneously. Three accused were defendants in both cases.

The newspaper said the two juveniles would be tried April 1. They are charged in both off the gang-rape cases.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
10-month-old Turkish baby rescued after floating out to sea
Putin congratulates U.S. on Independence Day
Immigrant who shot S.F. woman was deported 5 times in the past, police say
5-year-old Florida girl killed by leaping sturgeon