TEHRAN, Feb. 28 (UPI) -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the country plans to continue its nuclear energy program.
Zarif, speaking to reporters Thursday in New Delhi during a visit to India, said Iran hopes to reach an agreement with the p5-plus-1 group this summer, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.
He said the country must convince the other countries its nuclear facilities are aimed only at the peaceful production of nuclear power and not weapons.
"I can tell you that Iran's nuclear program will remain intact and we will not close any program," he said.
Negotiators for Iran and the other countries agreed on an agenda last week and plan to resume discussions in March. The other countries involved include the five veto powers on the U.N. Security Council, Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States, plus Germany.
Inspectors for the International Atomic Energy Agency have visited Iran's nuclear facilities.