Dozens of artworks possibly stolen by Nazis removed from Austrian home

Feb. 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM

SALZBURG, Austria, Feb. 11 (UPI) -- Dozens of paintings possibly stolen by the Nazis have been removed from the Austrian home of the son of a Nazi-era art dealer, a family spokesman said Tuesday.

Stephan Holzinger, a spokesman for Cornelius Gurlitt, said some 60 works of arts, including paintings by Monet and Renoir, had been taken from his home in Salzburg to ensure their safety, the New York Times reported.

The legal guardian for Gurlitt, who is 81, ordered experts to examine the art to determine if any of them were looted by Nazis during World War II, the spokesman said.

Holzinger added that an initial assessment has found the works were not stolen.

Some 1,400 items, including 1,280 artworks, were discovered in Gurlitt's Munich apartment in 2012 by German authorities.

An international task force is trying to determine the provenance of the artwork, which was confiscated by prosecutors investigating possible tax evasion.

Images of 580 of the works have been posted on Germany's website for looted art, www.lostart.de.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution