account
search
search

Mortar rounds in Homs stall Syrian relief convoy

  |   Feb. 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM
HOMS, Syria, Feb. 8 (UPI) -- Mortar fire in violation of a temporary cease-fire delayed a U.N. convoy from delivering relief supplies to Homs, Syria, Saturday, authorities said.

The three-day cease-fire began Friday so trucks with food, water and medical supplies for 3,000 people could enter the battered city. More than 80 women, children and senior citizens were evacuated from Homs Friday amid sporadic gunfire, the BBC said.

U.N. officials told Voice of America of sick and starving civilians were stuck in Homs, which has been besieged by government forces for more than a year.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the temporary truce had been broken by the army, but the provincial governor for Homs, Talal al-Barazi said on state-run media the mortar rounds were fired by "armed terrorist groups."

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback