ICC sets hearing date for Bosco Ntaganda

Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

THE HAGUE, Netherlands, Feb. 6 (UPI) -- The International Criminal Court said Thursday a confirmation of charges hearing in the case of DRC warlord Bosco Ntaganda is scheduled for Monday.

"The confirmation of charges hearing is not a trial," the court said in a statement. "It is a pre-trial hearing held to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to establish substantial grounds to believe that the person committed each of the crimes charged."

The ICC said Ntaganda is suspected of seven counts of war crimes and three counts of crimes against humanity as leader of a rebel campaign in the Democratic Republic of Congo from 2002 to 2003.

The court said it would commit the case to trial if the charges are confirmed.

Ntganda helped lead a rebellion from the March 23 Movement, which occupied parts of DRC before reaching a peace settlement last year.

He surrendered voluntarily to the ICC in 2013 and is in the court's custody at The Hague, Netherlands.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories