facebook
twitter
search
search

Up to 6 million Brazilians without power

Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

SAO PAULO, Feb. 4 (UPI) -- A major electrical system failure Tuesday triggered a power outage that left up to 6 million Brazilians in the dark for several hours, officials said.

What exactly caused the blackout was unclear, Brazilian newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo reported.

Marcio Zimmermann, executive secretary of the Ministry of Mines and Energy, said the problem was not caused by an overload in the system.

Mauricio Tolmasquim, president of energy research company EPE, said the system "worked as it should" and the grid's operators "managed to avoid a domino" effect.

ONS, the grid operator, said in a statement the problem, which it did not explain, had been corrected but some areas had yet to be reconnected.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kim Jong Un had terrapin farm manager executed, says source
More than 80 percent of North Korean defectors are women, says report
North Korea requests medical aid from U.N. agencies
Kenyan bishop warns Obama against pro-gay policy
Duma approves construction of $4 billion bridge to Crimea