facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Cease-fire plan for South Sudan acceptable to both sides

Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM   |   Comments

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia, Jan. 19 (UPI) -- The two sides in the fighting in South Sudan said they would cease fire in the coming days after accepting a plan to continue peace talks.

South Sudan President Salva Kiir and the rebels both accepted the plan offered by international mediators on Saturday and said their forces would halt the fighting within a few days.

Kiir and the rebel forces led by his former vice president began an all-out conflict last month. Kiir's forces Saturday announced they had driven the rebels out of the provincial capital of Bor.

Negotiating teams from both sides were already in Addis Ababa, the capital of neighboring Ethiopia, on Saturday and both pledged they would sign the cease-fire pact.

A representative of the rebels told the Sudan Tribune that the cease-fire plan met its conditions, which included allowing humanitarian aide into the contested areas and the withdrawal of foreign troops that had been assisting Kiir's army.

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier Syrian Al Qaida group executes Lebanese soldier
2
Kentucky firefighter injured in ice bucket challenge dies Kentucky firefighter injured in ice bucket challenge dies
3
White House intruder had a knife White House intruder had a knife
4
Sister shoots and kills brother to protect father Sister shoots and kills brother to protect father
5
New York buses will feature anti-Islam ads depicting James Foley New York buses will feature anti-Islam ads depicting James Foley
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback