Hundreds drown in South Sudan while fleeing rebel forces

Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

JUBA, South Sudan, Jan. 13 (UPI) -- At least 250 people drowned as they fled a town in South Sudan where they had been alerted rebel forces were expected to attack, officials say.

The report of an imminent attack was later found to be false, China's official Xinhua news agency reported Monday.

Upper Nile State information minister Philip Jiben said the deaths occurred when a boat carrying people from the town of Malakal sank. Jiben said only two children were rescued.

He said the people had fled the town after receiving reports the forces of former vice president Riek Machar were going to attack.

"No attack was launched against Malakal," Jiben said. "The town is completely calm and the life is progressing naturally. There is no any fighting at any part of the town."

Machar is engaged in a conflict with the forces of South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit. The two sides are meeting in Ethiopia to negotiate a ceasefire.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Nobel Prize in Chemistry awarded to DNA cell repair pioneers
Priest suspended after defending pedophilia in TV interview
U.S. asks how Islamic State militants got so many Toyotas
At least 17 dead in Carolinas, more flooding expected
NASA releases thousands of Apollo mission photos on Flickr